Hope

Hope

Sunday, July 31, 2016

Things are not always as they appear....

This Thursday, August 4, will be three months since Pia flew the coop.  As expected, I have mixed feelings about the whole missing a boob and no treatment thing.  Humor me for a moment I as I focus on the serious aspect of this cancer shit  crap. 

Serious aspect of said cancer shit crap:
I actually have been working on this blog for a while now.  In my mind, there is a very fine line between being informative and just whining.  I have written, rewritten, deleted this so many times my head is spinning.  Yet I keep coming back as I think it is worth sharing.  For the record, I am not whining. 

The other day, I was asked if I was “over my cancer yet?”   I had one of my few and very far between silent attacks and was unable to form an answer befitting the question. I don’t even remember if I replied; I was too busy trying to wrap my brain around what over meant.  As I started to wrap it, the question started to piss me off.   It sounded as if getting over cancer was as easy as getting over a cold or cough.  Really??!!  Here is your answer and I sure wish I had thought of it sooner as the answer is so simple.  No, I am not over my cancer and I doubt I will ever be.  It is always there, lurking in the shadows.  Each and every time you feel something different, you worry.  Every time you take a test, you worry.  Does it get easier?  Yes, it does.  As time goes on, it fades further and further into the background. Then BAM!  You expect certain places to bring it all back—the doctor’s office, the mammogram machine.   But it happens more so with simple, everyday tasks, such as driving past a doctor’s office, finding a card tucked away, having a wig fall on you when looking for a blanket and even visiting someone in the hospital and finding out they are on the 10th floor.  I can proudly say I now look in the mirror at the area formally known as Pia and instead of saying dammit I miss my boob, I shake my head and usually mutter, you wanted it smaller…so there.  The mind is a funny thing.  One moment you are good with it all and in the next you are shaken to your core.  Go figure.

Now I will tackle that thin line. Physical tolls.  Talk about things that suck.   Some are visible and some are invisible.  The visible is easy.  The boob is gone, never to return and I am good with it.  Of course I have Penny which helps to fill in when she needs to.  For the record, there are days in which she is a pain in the ass.  She is 1.3 pounds—yup I went there—and part of the area formally known as Pia is numb—so a bra is just annoying.  I do my best to wear shirts in which my booblessness is not as noticeable and at this point, I really do not care.  
However, it is the invisible aches and pains which are the hardest to deal with.  I actually feel guilty when I can’t do things I used to be able to do.  Then again, I have accepted the fact that this might be it and I just have to adapt.  Let me explain in a little more detail. First off, radiation shredded my pectoral muscle, so I have been dealing with upper right arm issues on and off for the past 4 years.  Since the first surgery, I have dealt with a searing pain in my right arm pit (sorry, could not figure out a way to describe that one) which can bring me to my knees and tears to my eyes.  Up until the mastectomy, it happened once in a great while but since it has increased dramatically.  Although it just sometimes happens for no reason, I have narrowed some of it down to a few every day normal tasks.  Chopping, cutting and twisting seem to be the worse culprits (I have no problem paying for pecan pieces now or asking a 4 year old to open a water bottle).  And for some reason, for the past few months I have been having lower arm aches with no clue what is causing it, but I am leaning towards the medication I am on.  It is from my elbow to the wrists and if I had not had that plain and boring PET scan, I would be worrying it was something else.  But since it is bilateral (I love that word), no one seems to be too worried at this point, including myself.  Of course I have voiced to a certain good Dr that it is hard to pick up a cup while I am driving and she had the nerve to roll her eyes.  I should have started off with I have issues driving, which is the truth.  At times I feel I am lucky to make it the 45 minute drive to Wilmington.  Very annoying as I am used to just upping and going.  As for the new medication, it is the menopausal version of tamoxifen and for some reason instead of just the side effects just staying the same; they have to get worse before they get better.  This includes the finger cramps which makes playing Candy Crush difficult.  The last, but certainly not the least toll, the fatigue factor.   While I am back to working mostly full time, I am done by the end of the day.  Heck, I am done by 1pm.  I have had people suggest that I exercise and I will feel better.  Um really?!  Not to sound ungrateful for your wonderful suggestion, but it is not that simple.  Mornings are difficult as I move like a 90 year old—I am that stiff and achy.  As for the nights, I am done when I get home.  Done.  But I do appreciate the kindness behind the suggestions.  Please do not take it personally if I ever let the live in my body for a few days comment slip.  Unless you are Billy.  I voiced that loud and clear the other night.  I think he got the point.

And that my friends, ends the looks can be deceiving lesson. 

So here are some fun things just because….

·        I was in the hallway at church and saw a friend I had not seen in awhile.  Since she has the same type of humor, I told her to touch it (Penny). So she does and says how real it feels.  That was when I told her it was the real one. 
·        Penny can be misplaced.  Trust me on this.
·        Someone asked me if I missed my boob.  And was serious.  I asked her if she would miss hers. She said yes.  I said well then, there is your answer.  I might or might not have muttered dumbass.
·        Someone asked me if I was depressed.  I told them I was deflated.  They had no clue.  None at all.  What a waste of a great comeback.



James 1: 1-5

No comments:

Post a Comment